All summer, my son has been announcing to anyone and everyone that he is now in first grade. It's kind of a big deal, apparently. Most of his conversations have ended with his hands on his hips and his voice belting out strong declarations of, "It's true. I should know, 'cuz I'm in FIRST GRADE!"
I'm not exactly sure what has propelled this much enthusiasm for entering grade one, but no matter the cause, I'll take it! Now, if he could just spread a little of that passion into chore time, we'll have the makings of a near perfect school year. But, I digress...
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for full details.)
He's what my boy will be up to this year...
(All subjects will be completed four times a week unless otherwise indicated.)
He will join his siblings for some group learning in content-rich subjects like Bible, science, history, and even art. You can find all of those curriculum selections here>>>
- The Hear Me Read Bible-This continues to be my favorite learning-to-read Bible for emergent readers. (every day)
- ABeka Language 1
- ABeka Phonics 1
- All About Spelling Level 1
- Write to his pen pal. (1x a month)
- Read from books from this list of emergent readers, the Let's Read Together series, the God is Good series, and a few ABeka 1st grade readers until he becomes a strong enough reader to read real books. (For most of my kids, the transition from readers to real books has happened towards the middle of first grade.)
- Read for pleasure. (every day)
- ABeka Arithmetic 1
- free online review games and apps (like Math Mateer and Monkey Math) to review math processes (every few days)