My fourth born is a "certified bird nerd." An artist. A gardener. An advocate for all creatures great and small. He's everything I imagined John J. Audubon to have been as a child. He's rarely without a field guide, can usually be found sketching animals, and is always on the hunt for some little critter to add to his window well habitat.
He's my second grader this year. And here's what he'll be learning.
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for full details.)
Items with an asterisk indicate a new-to-us resource. All subjects will be completed four times a week unless otherwise noted.
He'll be joining his siblings to learn all of the content-rich subjects like science and history AND certain subjective-subjects like art and creative writing. To avoid redundancy, I'll not write a lengthy list of all of those titles. You can see those here>>>
Personal Devotions- everyday
- A Beka Letters & Sounds 2
- A Beka Language 2
- The American Speller***I'm not gonna lie. This little bit of vintage loveliness is on his book list this year for no other reason than it is just soooooo beautiful that someone needs to read it with their language lessons. So, I've decided that "someone" should be him! I plan to have him read the page(s) that correspond with the letter/sound/digraph he happens to be learning that day/week.
- All About Spelling 2
- Read for pleasure. (everyday)
- Read a book that I assign to him each month. (classics, biographies, exceptional fiction)
Critical Thinking/World View
- Mind Benders level 2
Life Skills/Extra Curriculars
- He will continue his child-of-the-day privileges and responsibilities.
- My Book about Me- 2nd grade is the perfect age to fill out this personal scrapbook of childhood. By second grade most kids are old enough to read all the writing prompts and fill in the narration without needing any assistance from mom. (1x a week)
- Lessons in Responsibility for Boys level 1 (1x a week)
- Typing Instructor (1x a week)
- Attend a few naturalist day camps/classes at our local arboretum as they come up throughout the school year.
He's so naturally inquisitive and is always eager to learn. It's gonna be a great year!