Every summer for the past five years, I have put together a "Jar 'O Fun" for the kids. Inside the decorated jar, I have placed slips of paper declaring exciting summer happenings that the kids and I could enjoy on slow summer afternoons.
This year, we are trying something new. The jar has been replaced by a sand bucket labeled "Summer Bucket List." I have seen similar ideas plastered all over the internet and thought we could create our own version.
A few weeks before school ended, I sat all the Littles down, passed out some festive-colored slips of paper and pencils, and encouraged the kids to write out a handful of activities that they would like to try before the summer is complete. I added a few of my own...and voila'...our Summer Bucket List was written! (For scheduling purposes, we wrote quick-and-easy activities on polka-a-dot paper and more time-consuming ones on striped paper. That way, if we only have a few minutes to try some "fun", we know which slips to choose.)
Since the evening of our brainstorm, the kids have drooled over the bucket, anxious to draw out the first slip. So what made our bucket list?
Well, here are our ideas in no particular order.
Brand New Adventures
- Shaving Cream Slip-n-Slide
- Slingshot water balloon war
- Make & use beach combs
- Enjoy a bubble bath pool
- Walk to the candy shop to pick out treats
- S'more cones over a campfire
- Paint the driveway using squirt bottles of paint
- Complete a veggie taste test
- Create ice paintings
- Eat banana boats
- Take a sound safari walk
- Make pudding pops
Annual Favorites/Everyday Fun
- Campout in the backyard.
- Take an egg carton nature scavenger hunt
- Create rain paintings
- Have a campfire with S'mores
- Go to the beach
- Play in the backyard sandbox
- Visit the park
- Take a bike ride
- Visit the water park
- Go strawberry picking
Summer Long Adventures
- Annual summer long science project
- Discovery quiet time
- T-ball for Super Boy
- Basket ball camp for Sweetie Pea
- Library book club four the four oldest
- Stamp collection for Blonde Warrrior
- Family fishing league/tournament with dad and other families
- Annual summer girls club with Sweetie Pea and other moms/daughters
Add to all of that two groups of out-of-state house guests that will each be staying for over a week, and you have the makings of a fabulous summer!
Check back again in the coming days for further explanations and updates of our adventures.
What are you up to this summer? Got any adventures you'd like to share?